Potatoes are the ultimate comfort food to me. Boil them, mash them, roast them, bake them, make pancakes or pasta out of them… the answer will always be yes. It’s fortunate, then, that potatoes provide valuable nutrition as well as valuable flavor. A medium potato has more potassium than a banana, 8% of your daily fiber needs, 45% of your daily vitamin C, and 6% of your daily iron.
I’m convinced that there’s no wrong way to cook a potato, but this way is one of my favorites for a quick weeknight side. These have been spiced with smoky paprika and roasted until they’re crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Potato perfection.
- 4 large russet potatoes (about 2 lbs)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash the potatoes and dice into 1-2 inch chunks. It’s okay if they’re not in even pieces. Transfer the potato chunks onto the prepared sheet pan and pour the olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and paprika over the top. Toss everything with your hands, making sure the potatoes are well-coated in oil (add more if needed). Sprinkle the potatoes with the remaining salt.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes, tossing halfway through to ensure even cooking, until the potatoes are browned and fork-tender.
If you make this recipe at home, share on Instagram using #strongrootsnutrition so I can see!