Maybe peppercorns in ice cream sounds a little off-putting to you, but trust me: you need to give this a try. I first had this stunning combination of flavors at a gelato shop in Seattle, and at first bite, I knew I’d have to recreate it at home. The flecks of pink peppercorn speckled throughout added just the right amount of spicy zing to contrast with the ever-sweet strawberries. I’ve made this recipe a few times now, and it’s already earned a spot in the regular rotation of frozen desserts around here.
You may have the best luck buying pink peppercorns online as they’re sometimes tough to find in stores. I found some at a local international food store for a reasonable price. Keep in mind that pink peppercorns have a lighter, more flaky/crumbly texture than regular black or green peppercorns. This surprised me at first, but it’s normal.
- 2 Tablespoons pink peppercorns
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Coarsely grind the peppercorns in a spice mill or a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- In a food processor, puree the strawberries and sugar. Blend in the water, lemon juice, and ground peppercorns.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the heavy cream until thickened to the consistency of yogurt. Wisk the strawberry mixture into the cream, blending thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours before serving to freeze completely.
- SR Clients: 1 cup = Level 3 (100%) dessert or Level 1 (50%) snack
If you make this recipe or any others at home, share on Instagram using #strongrootsnutrition so I can see!